Silicon Carbide SiC Schottky Diodes
Historically the schottky diode constructed using silicon has been limited in maximum breakdown voltage. Increasing breakdown voltage >200V results in significantly higher on-resistance and leakage current which are key performance parameters of any diode. However the benefits of the schottky construction are its switching speed and lack of any recovery time compared with other rectifiers in the diode family. This made silicon schottkys a big hit and very succesful in mainstream low voltage power electronics. For higher voltages in the Power Discrete market typically P-N junction rectifers are used which can handle higher voltages up to 1700V but are slower and exhibit more switching losses than a theoretical Schottky performance would achieve (were it be capable of that voltage).
Today SiC with it’s significantly higher breakdown voltage capability combined with the Schottky construction provides all the performance benefits of Schottky switching without the ramp of on-resistances and leakage current observed with Silicon. SiC is also exceptionally rugged and SiC schottky diodes show very little variance in performance as temperature increases. As a result better power densitys can be achieved, higher switching efficiencies and also a reduction in size and number of peripheral passive components needed compared with Silicon diodes.
- SiC Schottky die - Higher switching frequencies because no reverse recovery charge accumulates during the diode’s normal conduction period (No trr)
- SiC Schottky die - No reverse recovery charge = less heat and low switching losses
- SiC Schottky die - No safety margins necessary for start up and cycle drop out operations
- SiC Schottky die - Cool operation during transient thermal load steps
- SiC Schottky die - Improved light load efficiency by significantly reduced device capacitances
- SiC Schottky die - Break down voltages >1700V!
- Solar Power
- Traction controls
- On board power generation and control
- High speed motor drives
- Machine tools
- Robotics and HF supplies